Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Water Damage.


I woke up this morning to find a leaky roof. As if an act of God the leak was Directly above my laptop. That red square is where I generally leave my laptop, that thing has a puddle of water on it. The dry square is where I had a pile of books. the books soaked up all the water there. Bye-bye computer and files. Laptops are required in my major. I usually backup my files at the end of every quarter, our quarter ends in two weeks. so everything in the last three months is gone, like homework.

A good number of my homework files I've e-mailed, so those are retreivable, But none of them are the original raw files, I won't be able to edit them, which I need to do for my final project. I'm using my girlfriend's computer right now, she's sleeping and still doesn't know yet.

This also means I probably won't be blogging for a while, so get used to seeing this not updated. sorry folks.

despair, Tomorrow's thanksgiving. I refuse to let this bring me down! (too bad you can't build laptops out of bamboo)

6 comments:

meg said...

Oh, dude, I am so sorry. Having lost a couple of laptops to various disasters, I really feel your pain.

If I had an old one that worked, I'd lend it to you...

Ed said...

Unless you're sure the hard drive is toast, take it out and either put it in an external, swap it into another laptop, or using a conversion put it in a desktop.

Give the whole thing a chance to dry out and it might work. Of course, the first thing to do is unplug it and take the battery out.

Bummer!

John Clifford said...

If the emailed files are PDFs you can open them in Acrobat and save them as RTF which will give you a file you can open in Word and edit.

Hope that's of some help. I feel your pain!!!!!

Andrew said...

thanks guys. I'm doing what ed told me to do. I'm going to wait till it's all completely dry to try to reboot or pull files off the drive. I'm not too worried about the laptop itself cuz I'm in the market for a new one, since the programs i use are too much for my current one. My girlfriend has an 8 year old laptop I can use for word processing and limited internet use. I'm just hoping I can retreive files. All the files i e-mail ARE PDF however the raw forms are from programs like AutoCAD, Illustrator, InDesgin and Photoshop. Also even if you have PDF files that don't have RTF text you can Always OCR (Optical Character Recognition) it from inside Adobe Professional and then retreive the text. I've heard stories of people's laptops working once it dried out, so I'm still hoping that's the case.

Mona Hsieh said...

aw, shucks! come use my computer at work. you know i don't do anything anyway. ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Hey, two things:

1) Do you live in an apartment? Do you have renter's insurance? Speak to management - they should cover water damage from negligent apartment management. If you have renters insurance, this will count as a claim. If you don't, I'd recommend getting it. It's not expensive at all and it covers your butt with crazy things like this.

2) I have a spare laptop that you can borrow if you need it. It's a dell, it has some of the programs we use in school as well as word processing and internet. No autocad, however, but I think there may be space. It needs a battery but will work with the plug. Just let me know, send me a note through facebook.

Sorry this happened to you. :(

Claire